Oliver Bros. (Seeds) Ltd first appeared on the agricultural scene in 1920 when Walter and Arthur Oliver commenced business together from their depot at Brayford in the centre of Lincoln.
For 38 years the Oliver brothers were one of the leading Lincoln based seeds merchants, supplying high quality grass and root seeds locally and to neighbouring counties. In 1958, Stan Harrison of G Harrison & Son, a local animal feeds merchant joined the company helping to extend their market share.
1962 marked a change when the Oliver brothers and Harrison retired and a new partnership of Leslie Wright and John Le Tall (both from corn merchant and flour milling backgrounds respectively) bought the business. The new partnership moved the business to the Old Crown Mills site at Vernon Street in Lincoln.
1983 saw the retirement of Wright and Le Tall and the business was bought by Tim Clark who moved to larger premises in Ingham to the north of Lincoln. 1987 saw Tim’s brother Mike join him and another move to purpose built premises in 1989 at North Carlton.
The 1990’s and turn of the century saw huge change through agriculture and particularly the seed trade. Oliver Bros. (Seeds) Ltd became Oliver Seeds and ownership moved to the Cebeco Seeds group and subsequently DLF Seeds in 2003. This gave the Oliver business an excellent base to work from as part of the world’s leading supplier of grass and forage seeds. Rod Bonshor took over as General Manager of Oliver Seeds in 2004 and the business has continued to expand throughout the British Isles to become the leading brand that we know today.
The strong Lincoln connection continues from the base at Saxilby with a friendly, family based ethos to proceedings.